Broccoli Cheese soup is a family favorite in our household. This recipe tastes like a mix between two of my favorite restaurants’ Broccoli Cheese soups; Panera and Chili’s both have very tasty options on their menus. I definitely prefer this Best of Both Worlds Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe, because you just can’t beat the convenience of delicious homemade soup on a cozy Fall afternoon.
With this recipe, you will want to do all of your ingredient preparation before you begin. A food processor works wonderfully for grating carrots and sharp cheddar cheese. Freshly shredded cheese is best because it melts so much better than the per-shredded, bagged varieties. You can use frozen or fresh chopped broccoli.
Once your ingredients are chopped, shredded, and measured, you can begin the cooking process.
Making a Roux
Over medium low heat, melt 4 Tbsp butter. Add 1/2 cup diced yellow onion, and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the onions become translucent.
Whisk 3 Tbsp of flour in the pot with the onions and melted butter and cook for 2 more minutes.
Slowly whisk in 1 cup of Vitamin D milk, and let it simmer until the sauce begins to thicken.
Broccoli Cheese Sauce
Add in your diced Velveeta cheese and broccoli, and stir thoroughly until all the cheese has melted.
From Sauce, to Best of Both Worlds Broccoli Cheese Soup
At this point, it looks like broccoli in a smooth cheese sauce. The soup magic begins here:
Slowly stir in the 32oz carton of chicken broth, stirring until the soup has a consistent texture.
Add salt, freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder, and nutmeg. Stir in the shredded carrots, and let the soup simmer for 10 minutes.
Add 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese and stir until completely melted.
The soup will simmer for another 10-15 minutes, until broccoli is tender and all the cheese is melted.
*Optional: Use an immersion blender to partially puree the soup. I love this step because it adds all those pretty little flecks of broccoli into the base of the soup. I work carefully to ensure some of the broccoli chunks remain, and the shredded carrots are still visible.
Taste the soup, add any additional garlic powder, and/or salt & pepper, as needed.
Serve your Best of Both Worlds Broccoli Cheese Soup with fresh baked bread, or a side salad.
We served it with my Artisan Dutch Oven Bread:
Best of Both Worlds Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Whole Vitamin D Milk
- 1 lb Velveeta (diced)
- 1/2 cup Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1 cup Shredded Carrots (or matchstick cut)
- 1 16oz package Broccoli ,chopped (frozen or fresh)
- 2 cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 32oz carton Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Start by making a Roux
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat, and stir in the onions. Cook 2-3 minutes until onions are translucent, and whisk in the flour.Cook 2 more minutes until flour is fully incorporated.
- Slowly add the Vitamin D Milk, whisking it into the pot about 1/4 cup at a time. Continue whisking until thickened and smooth.
- Add the chopped broccoli and Velveeta cheese. Continue stirring until all of the cheese has melted, and become smooth.Add the chicken broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring continuously until the soup is well mixed and is starting to have a consistent texture.
- Stir in the shredded carrots, garlic powder, nutmeg, and salt & pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Next, add 2 cups of shredded, sharp cheddar cheese to the pot. Continue simmering for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is fully melted.
- *Optional: Puree some of the soup with an immersino blender in the pot. This will add pretty little broccoli flecks into the broth of the soup. Just be careful not overdo it, we still want some chunks of broccoli, and visible carrots in the soup.
- Taste the soup, and add any additional garlic powder, and salt & pepper, to taste.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?