Mother’s Day weekend is upon us, and fast, delicious brunch options are a must! Especially, if you’re the mom doing the cooking this weekend! This Easy Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole is so tasty, satisfying, and filled with all the best things. It comes together in a snap, and makes enough for a crowd!
You just can’t go wrong with sausage and peppers, those flavors are a match made in heaven. My husband is a bit of a carnivore, so I made this breakfast casserole with 2 kinds of meats. That’s the great thing about this recipe, you can add in whatever meats, vegetables, or cheeses you have on hand! We made it with ham, sausage, cheddar, and onion in the photos.
Preparing the Ingredients
You simply need to take a few steps before getting started:
- Thaw the hash brown potatoes in the fridge overnight
- Dice a red or green bell pepper and half a medium yellow onion
- Brown the breakfast sausage over medium heat with the diced onions and peppers (don’t forget to drain the fat), set aside
- If using, dice or slice some leftover ham (or deli ham)
- Whenever possible, shred the cheese by hand instead of buying pre-shredded. It really makes the cheese melt so much easier, and the cheese goes further in the dish. Not to mention, it makes the cheese texture much creamier too!
Assembling the Hash Brown Casserole
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray the baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Add the prepared meat and vegetable mixture to the pan with the thawed potatoes.
Next, add 1.5 cups of shredded cheese, and stir all of the ingredients together to combine.
Whisk the milk and 12 eggs together. Season with ground mustard and salt and pepper. Pour the eggs over the meat, vegetables, and potatoes.
Top the egg mixture with the remaining half cup of shredded cheese.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the edges are golden brown and the eggs have set.
Garnish with minced parsley and sliced green onions, as desired. Let the casserole rest for 5 minutes prior to slicing.
Serve and enjoy! Even the kiddos love this egg bake! My 6-year old ate the biggest piece of all!
This Easy Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole is so hearty, creamy, and delicious. The flavor from the combined meat, potatoes, eggs, and cheese is so satisfying. It goes perfectly with my Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes or Easy Weekend Waffles – links below!
Easy Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- 12 large Eggs
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 15oz frozen Hash Brown Potatoes, thawed (=1/2 bag)
- 1 lb Breakfast Sausage (hot or regular)
- 2 cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 medium Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 cup Diced Red or Green Bell Pepper
- 1 tsp Ground Mustard
- 1.5 tsp Kosher Salt , divided
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- Fresh Parsley, minced
- Green Onions, sliced
- Thaw hash brown potatoes in the fridge over night. Add the sausage, bell pepper, and diced onion to a large skillet, brown and crumble over medium heat. Season with half of the kosher salt and black pepper. Drain the fat, and set the cooked sausage aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9×13 casserole dish or glass baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the cooked sausage, peppers, and onions to the casserole dish with the hash brown potatoes. Stir in 1.5 cups of the shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- Beat the 12 eggs and milk with a whisk until they reach a smooth, even consistency. Season with the ground mustard, and remaining kosher salt and black pepper. Whisk again until the seasonings are incorporated.
- Pour the beaten eggs over the sausage, vegetables, and potatoes in the casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese evenly on the surface.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the edges have slightly browned.
- Let the casserole cool for 5 minutes prior to serving. Slice and enjoy!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?