These Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes are a weekend breakfast staple at our house. They are so buttery, delicious, and easy to make! These pancakes turn out perfectly soft, fluffy, and golden every time. They are way better than any store-bought box mix you can buy. My 5 year-old can tell the difference in just one bite!
You can customize these pancakes any way you like, this time we added rainbow sprinkles and my girls couldn’t get enough! We also love to make blueberry or chocolate chip pancakes too. But honestly, they are so good plain, you don’t even need to add any extra ingredients outside of some good old butter and syrup.
Making the Batter
To get the pancake batter started, beat the eggs in a large bowl on medium speed until light and bubbly.
Next, add in the buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla extract and beat until well incorporated.
Beat in the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until just blended.
There may be a few lumps in the batter, but no worries there! That is pretty typical when making pancakes. At this point, the batter will be fairly thick. I personally, like to add 2 Tbsp of cold water or milk to the batter to help it thin out a bit. I like my pancakes to be more of a medium thickness. That last step is totally optional, you don’t need to thin it out if you like really fluffy pancakes,
Cooking the Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes
As you are finishing the batter, preheat a griddle to 350 degrees. Spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Pour about 1/4 – 1/3 cup of the batter onto the griddle for each pancake. Cook until the tops of the pancakes are bubbling and the batter is just about set, about 4 minutes.
*Optional: Once the batter is freshly poured onto the griddle, you can add any optional fillings you might like to the top of the batter on the griddle. We did this for a few of the pancakes for the girls.
Flip the pancakes and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the bottom side is a light golden brown color.
Definitely kid approved!
Serve ’em up with butter, syrup, crispy bacon, and some coffee! Can’t beat that brunch combination! These Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes are simply the best way to start a cozy weekend morning at home with the family.
Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 4 Tbsp Salted Butter, melted
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Tbsp Water (optional for thinner pancakes)
Optional for Serving/Flavoring
- Butter and Syrup
- Sprinkles, whip cream
- Blueberres or Chocolate Chips
- In a medium to large mixing bowl, beat the 2 eggs on medium speed until frothy.
- Stir in the buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Beat in the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt over medium speed until just blended. (*Optional – Add the 2 Tbsp water if the batter looks really thick, this will help the pancakes be more of a medium thickness).
- Lightly grease or spray a griddle with non-stick cooking spray and preheat to 350 degrees (or you can use a skillet and cook the pancakes 1 at a time or silver dollar size).
- Pour about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the batter onto the preheated griddle for each pancake. (Add any optional ingredients like chocolate chips, sprinkles, or berries to the up side now).
- Cook until the top of the pancakes start to have bubbles that begin to pop (about 4-5 minutes). The batter will start to set and that is when the pancakes will be ready to flip. Cook until the underside is golden brown about 2-3 more minutes. Repeat with remaining batter until all pancakes are prepared.
- Serve hot with softened butter pats, syrup, and bacon or sausage.
Like this recipe? Try my Easy Weekend Waffles next!
- Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Fluffy Scrambled Eggs
- Crispy Roasted Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Easy Halloween Bark
- The Best Chicken Marsala
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?