If you’re looking for a fun and easy Spring treat to make with the kids, these Haystack Bird’s Nest Cookies are perfect. They are so delicious and super quick to whip together with no oven time needed! This recipe is ideal for little helpers to get their hands messy and have fun helping in the kitchen! With a few simple steps, these Spring treats are done in a snap!
The ingredients for Haystack Bird’s Nest Cookies can be found at your average supermarket. The chow mein noodles were in the international aisle at my local grocery store. Make sure to buy 2 – 5oz cans or a large bag of them!
To begin, add the butterscotch chips and peanut butter into a large microwave safe bowl and heat for 1 minute. (Alternatively, you can use a double boiler to do this step instead of a microwave).
Stir together until the chips start to melt and the mixture softens. Microwave for 30 more seconds and stir again until mixture is completely smooth. If needed, microwave for another 30 seconds and stir until all the lumps have disappeared.
Add in the chow mein noodles and stir well until thoroughly coated.
Assembling the Haystack Bird’s Nest Cookies
Next, grease 2 standard muffin pans with non-stick cooking spray. Scoop about 1/4 cup of the coated chow mein noodles into each well of the pan. You can use wax paper during this step, but I will say using my muffin pan made a big difference in getting the haystacks to be more nest shaped. My daughter and I made a bit of a mess using our hands, haha!
Shape each cookie so there is a small well in the center to hold the mini chocolate eggs.
Gently press 3-4 chocolate eggs (or jellybean eggs) into the center of each nest.
Let the cookies set and harden for about 1 hour, or refrigerate for 20-30 minutes. When set, pop the Haystack Bird’s Nest Cookies out of the pan using a butter knife.
These cookies are just too cute! They look just like bird’s nests and taste so yummy! Some fun variations:
- Use Jellybean Eggs instead of Chocolate Eggs
- Substitute chocolate morsels for the butterscotch morsels (or do half and half)
- Make plain haystacks and add some halved peanuts to the blend
This is such a fun activity for kids and toddlers! They just can’t get enough of the cute colored eggs and miniature nests. These are perfect for Easter and will definitely have you feeling Spring fever!
Haystack Bird’s Nest Cookies
- 1 11oz bag Butterscotch Morsels
- 1/2 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 10oz bag Cadbury Mini Eggs
- 2.5 cups Chow Mein Noodles
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
- Spray 2 muffin pans with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt butterscotch chips and peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minute. Stir well until peanut butter starts to incorporate and chips begin to melt. Reheat for another 30 seconds. Stir until all the lumps have melted and the mixture is smooth. (If not entirely smooth, heat in 30 second increments and stir until this is achieved).
- Stir in the chow mein noodles and mix until well coated.
- Transfer 1/4 cup of mixture into each well of the prepared muffin pans. Shape the cookies so they have a well in the center and are rounded like a bird's nest. Gently press 3-4 mini chocolate eggs into the center of each cookie.
- Let rest for 1 hour, or until set. Optional: refrigerate for 20-30 minutes to help the cookies set more quickly. Yield: 16-18 Haystack Bird's Nest Cookies.
Like this recipe? Try my favorite sugar cookie recipe next! They are perfect for Easter and Spring, just decorate with pastel frosting and sprinkles!
- Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Fluffy Scrambled Eggs
- Crispy Roasted Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Easy Halloween Bark
- The Best Chicken Marsala
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?