Party potatoes are probably my kids’ absolute favorite food! They just cannot get enough of the hearty, cheesy goodness with all of that buttery, crunchy topping. These potatoes are so simple to make, and are the epitome of comfort food. Perfect for parties, potlucks, holiday dinner, or pretty much any occasion!
There are just a few simple ingredients needed:
- A bag of thawed hash brown potatoes
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 can of Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 cup of Sour Cream
- Salted Butter
- Corn Flakes
- Salt and Pepper
Preparing Potluck Party Potatoes
Cooking the onion in the melted butter is a crucial step! Without it, the onion flavor is a bit more sharp and bitter and takes over the flavor of the whole dish.
All you need to do, is mix the ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined.
It does take a bit of elbow grease, but well worth the effort!
Transfer the potato mixture into a greased 9×13 casserole dish.
Next, pour melted butter over the cornflakes, and stir together. I usually just crush the cornflakes while stirring or with my hands. You can even crush them up in a Ziploc baggie
Evenly spread the cornflakes mixture over the top of the potatoes, and it’s ready to be baked.
In just about 30 minutes, the Potluck Party Potatoes are ready to enjoy!
We love them with delicious Sweet and Sour meatballs – another potluck favorite!
This dish can also be prepared in a slow cooker: Simply add the mixture from step 3 into a crock pot and cook on low for 4 hours, or on high for 2 hours. Add the corn flake topping when you have about 30 minutes cook time remaining.
Potluck Party Potatoes
Cheesy Party Potatoes
- 30oz bag Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes, thawed
- 1 10.5oz Can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1/2 cup Salted Butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1.5 cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 medium Yellow Onion, finely diced
- 1.5 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 cups Crushed Corn Flakes
- 1/4 cup Salted Butter, melted (1/2 stick)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and lightly coat a 9×13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small sauce pan or skillet, melt 1 stick of salted butter. Add the diced yellow onion and cook for 4-5 minutes until onions are soft and translucent.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the thawed hash brown potatoes, onion and butter mixture, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and cream of chicken soup. Season with salt and pepper, stirring to combine. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Melt 1/2 stick salted butter and pour over crushed cornflakes and stir to coat. Spoon corn flake topping evenly over the top of the potato mixture.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until potato mixture is bubbly and cooked through.
Like this recipe? Try my 5 Ingredient Corn Pudding Casserole next!
- The Best Tiramisu
- Broiled Asian Salmon
- Artisan Pizza Dough
- Easy Vanilla Cake with Buttercream Frosting
- Buttery Homemade Biscuits
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?